A Day In The Life Of An Underwriter – REQ13648
Are you reliable, dependable and always on time? Then we need you in our Underwriting Department! College Degree strongly preferred. Our Underwriters assist our State Farm agents and Underwriting Department to help life go right ® for our customers.
Underwriters work in the Auto or Fire areas within the Personal Lines and Business Lines departments.
There are two different types of Underwriter roles; a contact center where Underwriters are responsible for speaking with State Farm Agents and their team members and a production area that processes applications.
You must be flexible regarding placement, as you may be placed in any role or functional area based on business needs.
So exactly what do Underwriters do?
- Analyzes and reviews lines of business to develop recommendations and assist in achieving and maintaining a profitable book of business
- Responsible for acceptance continuation, proper pricing, placement and termination of risk or other policy limitations within assigned levels of authority
- Serves as a resource to agency leadership and agents in support of company programs
- Consults/communications/advises Agents and policyholders on company and industry policies in their assigned area regarding loss mitigation, loss control; and marketing opportunities
- Monitors team production and status and may perform quality control checks, advising management of concerns
- May prepare for or represent the company at industry meetings, committees, examinations, and arbitration hearings and trials
- Successfully completes the training program
- Applies fundamental knowledge of company underwriting practices, policies and federal and state requirements
- Participates in special projects and committees assigned by management
Office Location: Tempe, AZ…where we work hard AND play hard! Candidates must be willing to relocate themselves at their expense to this location. Our locations are conveniently located near the local transit and we have several restaurants on campus.
We Are Looking for Candidates With
- Reliability, Dependability, Punctuality
- Remarkable customer service skills
- Ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Detail oriented
- Verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with Microsoft Office software
What You Can Expect
Start Date: December 7, 2020
Pay Rate: $45,740.50/year or approximately $22.70/per hour
Hours of Operation: Underwriting Operating Hours are 7:00 a.m. – 7:15 p.m.
Your schedule will be determined following training. The work schedule will include working a full-time schedule of 38 hours and 45 minutes each week between the operating hours of 7:00am – 7:15 pm Monday-Friday. Employees' work schedules may change based on business need. Flexibility is required.
Training Details: Mandatory paid training (8:00 - 4:30 Monday-Friday), length of training depends on the function in which you are placed varying between 6-15 months in total duration. Limited time off will be granted during the training. Please ensure you are able to commit to the mandatory training before applying. Schedule for training is subject to change based on business need.
Incumbency: 24 months for lateral opportunities and 12 months for promotional opportunities.
Next Steps: Competitive candidates may be invited to participate in pre-employment testing and/or the interview process. This is where the excitement begins!
What’s In It For You
- Competitive Benefits, Pay and Bonus Potential: Who doesn’t want money, right?
- Volunteer opportunities: Get involved and give back to the community!
- Tuition Reimbursement: We support opportunities for you to learn and grow!
- A Learning Culture: Mentoring, Professional Designations, Employee Development, and more!
- 401k Plan and FULLY FUNDED PENSION: Yes, both. This is kind of a BIG deal!
- Dress Code: We trust our employees to dress for their day. That's right, we trust you...
- Free covered garage parking: No more bad hair days from walking in the rain!
- We embrace Diversity and Inclusion: We are one team and it is simply the right thing to do!
- Learn more about our benefits at State Farm Careers!
We are not just offering a job but a meaningful career! We’re here to help life go right®
Come join our passionate team!